When is the forum?
The weekend of October 12-14, 2007: Friday evening through Sunday afternoon.
Where will the forum be?
All events will be at the Shepherd School of Music located in Alice Pratt Brown Hall on the campus of Rice University in Houston, Texas.
Should I bring my instrument?
Absolutely! You will be involved in mini performances on the last day. Check back for more details.
What will happen?
- Showcase performances by eighth blackbird and the Chiara String Quartet.
- Workshops with Eric Booth and student participants aimed at identifying the main elements that contribute to the guest artists’ unique profiles.
- Discussions about maintaining artistic excellence while developing entrepreneurial and communication skills and building the necessary support systems for new career models.
- Focus on the importance of community engagement in careers that include classical music performance.
- Mini "lab" presentations and performances by student participants demonstrating the knowledge gained during the forum. These will be offered informally to members of the Houston community.
- A concluding session to gather ideas generated by the forum and make recommendations for future action.
Where will we stay?
All guest participants will stay the nearby Hilton Houston Plaza/Medical Center (a short walk from the Shepherd School of Music). Meals will be provided by Rice University and will be served at the Shepherd School.
What about transportation to the forum?
Rice University will cover half of the cost of your airfare (for economy class tickets booked well ahead of time). In order to make sure you all get here smoothly and successfully, please book your flight between late August (after peak travel season) and September 10th Please fax (713-348-5317) or e-mail to Janet Rarick your invoice no later than September 10, 2007
There is shuttle service from both Houston airports to the Hilton. The Super Shuttle is $27.00 from Bush Intercontinental Airport and $23.00 from Houston Airport as of 5/15/07. Call 713-523-8888. (shuttle fees will not be covered by Rice)